
Unfortunately, frozen berries don't travel well for a move so when I stumbled upon this post from LifeasMom's Good (&Cheap) Eats blog, I was thrilled. Strawberry chocolate chip scones? Yes please!
There were 2 problems which led me to somewhat modify the recipe. 1. I don't really like chunks of fruit in my baked goods. 2. When you thaw frozen strawberries, they end up sort of soggy.
So I modified her recipe by taking out the heavy cream (which I didn't have anyway) and adding in 3/4 cup of pureed strawberries. The end result was a not-too-sweet scone with a hint of strawberry. To be honest it probably could have used a little more strawberry to give it a good berry flavor but that would have upset the balance with dry ingredients so I left it alone.
I'd probably make these again. Either way - now I have a frugal dessert to eat this week made from ingredients from the freezer/pantry!
.
No comments:
Post a Comment