Friday, January 22, 2010

Impromptu Dinner Party: Challenge Style

A few friends and I decided to get together randomly last night for dinner and games. We decided to do a pot-luck type dinner and since it was basically my idea, I wanted to bring a main entree. This posed my greatest challenge thus far with completing my pantry challenge. I'm perfectly content to eat sandwiches, etc but I wanted to have something a little more substantial to share.

The other problems was that I didn't have enough time to run to the store so I reallyhad to make do with what is in my pantry and freezer - and that meant no meat.

So thanks to a recent by suggestion (you know who you are), I decided to modify a Bisquik Chicken Pot Pie recipe.

Here is what I had on hand - some broccoli (about 1/2 cup chopped), 1 can corn, 2 carrots, and lot of misc. bell peppers (green, red, yellow, and orange).

So here is my Veggie Pot Pie experiment:

The recipe calls for Cream of Chicken soup but I had only Cream of Celery or Cream of Potato - so I went with the Potato. Here is everything all mixed together. I was worried about the peppers - they just seemed a little random with the other veggies.


Here is the finished product with the topping. I have to say, it turned out really good. The whole thing was gone (6 adults) so I take that as a good sign. I was impressed by how it turned out given that I basically improvised most of it. The peppers worked and gave it a nice flavor. I will probably keep this recipe handy for a quick and easy dinner that can be made without much planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment