Friday, February 4, 2011

Home Remodeling: Faucets, part 1

As you might recall, I've set some home remodeling goals. This is not one of them. One of my goals is to replace the kitchen faucet, but seeing as how I haven't done much plumbing, I decided to first work on the bathroom faucets. I have 3 bathrooms. If something went horribly wrong in one of them, at least I have a few spares to work with. If I messed up the kitchen faucet I'd be washing dishes in the bathtub...and that doesn't sound too appealing.

Anyway, so on with it!

I thought about showing a step by step process but it was just too difficult to get good photos. Plus it was a decent amount of work so I'll just show you the before and after.

Here is my master bathroom faucet before. Note that I had already started taking things apart which is why there is some junk in the sink. Anyway, the faucet was totally functional but not at all attractive. Also, I am not a huge fan of chrome. So for this sink I replaced both the drain and the faucet.


And here is the finished product! I like the brushed nickel A LOT more than the cheap chrome one. I think it looks a lot more finished and gives it a more complete finish to the whole bathroom.


This is the first time I have ever done something like this, which satisfies one of my other goals. This was a great learning experience. Replacing the actual faucet part wasn't a huge deal but replacing the drain was A PAIN! I learned a very valuable home improvement lesson. No matter how many times you check to make sure you have everything you need, you're wrong. You absolutely will need to make at least 1 additional trip to the hardware store for something. In my case, it was a wrench big enough to loosen the drain.

In the end, it all worked out. I love my new faucet and I am feeling confident about attempting more home improvement projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment